I use the freeradius for EAP-MD5 in a wired lan.

I know that the client (supplicant) send a hash (is it a md5 hash???) to the RADIUS-Server. The RADIUS-Server have the plaintext password so it can perform the same hash to determine that the password is correct. Now i want to store the passwords as a md5-hash in the users file. Is it possible to authenticate against a md5-hash database? How can i say the RADIUS-Server that the password is already a MD5-Hash??