I searched the list history and found one discussion about this mentioning the use of radreply.

I would prefer to use the mysql-cluster I already have built if possible. While running radius -Xyz I get these error lines relating to the problem:
rlm_sql (sql): Trying to (re)connect unconnected handle 4..
rlm_sql (sql): Attempting to connect rlm_sql_mysql #4
rlm_sql_mysql: Starting connect to MySQL server for #4
rlm_sql_mysql: Couldn't connect socket to MySQL server [EMAIL PROTECTED]:radius
rlm_sql_mysql: Mysql error 'Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client'
rlm_sql (sql): Failed to connect DB handle #4
rlm_sql (sql): Ignoring unconnected handle 4..
rlm_sql (sql): Ignoring unconnected handle 3..
rlm_sql (sql): Ignoring unconnected handle 2..
rlm_sql (sql): Ignoring unconnected handle 1..
rlm_sql (sql): Ignoring unconnected handle 0..
rlm_sql (sql): There are no DB handles to use! skipped 5, tried to connect 1
modcall[authorize]: module "sql" returns fail for request 1
modcall: group authorize returns fail for request 1
There was no response configured: rejecting request 1

The mysql binary supplied by the rpm on my system failed with the same error so I simply copied over it with the mysql binary from my 4.1.8-max binary and it works now.

So I guess the big question remains, is anyone interested in building a rlm_sql that is compatable with the 4.1.8 mysql-max out there now?

I sincerely thank you for your time,
--
Lewis Bergman
Texas Communications