Unfortunately most of the people who provide help have other
urgent things to do. Taking some time to check the list and
answer what you can, is one thing. Having an instant message
pop up while you are fixing a mission critical problem is
a whole other thing.

I have been working with FreeRadius for over two years now
and am just starting to get ready to install it as a
critical system. The Cistron Radius I modified has been
running perfectly for at least 3 years. I Started to help
on FreeRadius when Cistron was to be end of life. If you
don't fiddle with stuff on a live system, you should not
experience catastrophic problems. When ever you modify a
config file backup and date the original so if a problem
comes up you can switch back to a known good configuration.

My point is :
If it is a critical system, make it work as good as you can.
When you have something better that you have thoroughly
tested, migrate to that but keep the other system available
to switch back to just in case. If possible incrementaly move
to the new system, don't cut and run. It's your butt on the
line not anyone else on the list.

--
Guy Fraser
Network Administrator