Let me explain because it could be a terminology problem:

"The MTU is usually set when a device driver initializes an interface and
the MTU represents the payload portion of a datagram (its length less
header length)."
"The maximum length of the data field is 1500 bytes."
        From "Ethernet Networks: Design, Implementation. Organization &
              Management"
So, when I said max MTU = 1500 I'm telling about ethernet technology
(other technologies has another maximum values for MTU)

When people on the 3COM list told about 1514, they probably include the
ethenet header (Destination Address 6 bytes, Source Address 6 bytes, Type
2 bytes = 14 bytes), and this could be the difference.

I thought that you want to send more than 1500 bytes through ethernet, so
I tried to warn to you that that is imposible, but you probably don't want
it.

        Jon

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html