Do you happen to be using the 64 bit version of FreeRadius from the RPM? If so
I found it horribly broken. To fix it I:

1. Installed the RPM source.
2. Unbzipped the source.
3. Went into the Make.inc file and modified one line to read:
LIBLTDL         = /usr/lib64/libltdl.so
4. Re-bzipped the source
5. Went to the SPEC directory and ran rpmbuild -bb freeradius.spec
6. I then instaled the 2 created packages
7. Upon starting FreeRadius in debug mode I received an error about a missing
rlm_eap.so module so I found the module in the compiled source, copied it
into /usr/lib/freeradius and linked it to rlm_eap.so. The missing so should
be named rlm_eap-XXX.soU with XXX being the version you are building.

I have reported this bug to SuSE. I assumed that the 32-bit worked fine since
another user on the list I was in communication with off-line reported his
was working correctly.

Since, I also got the SuSE 9.2 RPM working on SuSE 9.1 I will include the more
detailed instructions below:
Well I just got mine working on SuSE 9.1 64 bit. It was one heck of a hack,
and probably not done in the correct way, but this is what I did:

1. I grabbed the 9.2 source rpm: freeradius-1.0.0-5.4.src.rpm

2. I ran rpm build --rebuild freeradius-1.0.0-5.4.src.rpm to learn
dependencies. I installed the dependencies I could off of the 9.1
distribution. From the 9.2 distribution I installed: libnscd-1.0-2.x86_64.rpm
and libzio-0.1-4-0.1-4.x86_64.rpm.

3. I thought I had other issues so I also installed libtool-1.5.8-3.x86_64.rpm
and libtool-32bit-9.2-200410061204.x86_64.rpm but they are probably not
required from 9.2.

4. I installed the source rpm.

5. I went into /usr/src/packages/SOURCES and bunzipped
freeradius-1.0.0.0.tar.bz2

6. I cd'ed into the freeradius-1.0.0.0 directory and in Make.inc I modified
the variable LIBLTDL to: LIBLTDL         = /usr/lib64/libltdl.so

7. I re-bzipped the directory so the change was stored in the bzipped file.

8. I cd'ed into the /usr/src/packages/SPEC/ directory and ran:
rpmbuild -bb freeradius.spec

9. I cd'ed into /usr/src/packages/RPMS/x86_64 and installed the 2 created
packages:
freeradius-1.0.0-5.4.x86_64.rpm
freeradius-devel-1.0.0-5.4.x86_64.rpm

10. eap was still broken so I cd'ed into /usr/src/packages/BUILD/
freeradius-1.0.0/src/modules/rlm_eap/.libs/

11. I copied rlm_eap-1.0.0.soU to /usr/lib/freeradius

12. I cd'ed into /usr/lib/freeradius and did a ln -s rlm_eap-1.0.0.soU
rlm_eap.so

I certainly feel your pain since I went through the same for 3 weeks before I
finally realized it was definately in the FreeRadius RPM. I will state once
again, before anyone points out the obvious, that there are certainly
cleaner, better ways to fix the RPM and to submit the patches to Novell.
However, I am not that good of a code hacker and know only enough of the RPM
system to make it work.

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html