Thanks for the reply, some of this I figured out, and some I have more
questions on. . . comments below.

On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 12:32, Kostas Kalevras wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, Nick Bright wrote:
>
> > So now I've moved on to setting up Dialup Admin for my freeradius
> > server, and it doesn't do things quite how I expected. Is there any
> > additional documentation besides the README file? I see nothing in
> > /usr/share/docs/freeradius about it. Also, I have a few questions that
> > may or may not make sense:
>
> dialup_admin includes a doc folder, which contains a HOWTO file. It should be
> listed in the help page. admin.conf also includes *A LOT* of comments about
> each
> directive.

I'm blind or something, didn't see it before, I will read through it.

> Also, try using the latest cvs version of dialupadmin

Is it much different than the version from the latest distribution
package?

> > 1) When adding a user, I'm prompted for all the radius attributes for
> > each user. Isn't this what radgroupreply is for? If I leave them blank,
> > it puts it into radreply anyways.
>
> Puts what exactly?

The stuff from user_edit.attrs :) Got this one figured out. . . Just
comment out what you don't want to show up.

> >  I want to use radgroupreply for
> > everyone that doesn't have custom radius replys (which will be virtually
> > no one) to save database space. How can I do that?
>
> You create groups. You then specify the group the user will belong to when
> creating him.

Ok, I see where to create them (I didn't before, blind again I guess),
but how does this correspond to things I've got in radgroupcheck? When I
try to add a new user, not all of my groups from radgroupcheck show up.

The custom radius replies only show up when those items are uncommented
in user_edit.attrs, however there is a PHP error if that whole file is
commented out.

Answer to my own question:

The group must already have a user assigned to show up in the "show
groups" or "new user" pages. However, you can type in the group name and
directly edit the group, to add the fist user. Then it shows up
everywhere it should.

By disabling everything but "Simultanious-Use" from user_edit.attrs, I
got resolved the problem of putting all the useless attributes into SQL
when they aren't necessary, oddly if I leave it blank, it doesn't insert
a row into radcheck (which is perfectly fine) - though the other things
in user_edit.attrs were inserting rows even when blank. Perhaps it
depends on the attribute.

> > 2) User "Profiles", we do 'unlimited' dialup, but everything in here is
> > talking about "4 hours per day" and "20 hours per week"?? I don't even
> > see where to change those settings at.
>
> See at the end of admin.conf. Currently unlimited counters are not supported
> in
> dialupadmin (yet).

admin.conf says for "The value should be in seconds or none for nothing"
so I'll try "none" out and see how it works.

<dink, dink, dink>

Seems to work well.

> > 3) I can't edit anything in NAS Administration. I presume I should be
> > able to add/change/remove NAS units from here? When I click a unit, the
> > info comes up, but it is read only. I can DELETE the NAS, but not add
> > new ones or change existing information. This section just generally
> > doesn't work right.
>
> Enable sql debug to see exactly what's happening. What's the error message?

Well, I wasn't looking at it in depth enough. I can't change the IP
address, but I /can/ change anything else. However, I still can't *add*
a new NAS. Am I missing something, or is the function not there?

> > 4) I've got multiple realms loggin in to one NAS unit, I notice that in
> > the statistics, there is no differentiation between realms. Can I make
> > that happen? One realm is NULL & @psctelcom.net and the other is
> > @terraworld.net
>
> Most probably patches will be needed.

Well I'll just have to see what I can do to fix that or get around it.

> > 5) online users: I'm using a usrhiper, and max40xx for NAS units. I
> > notice only cisco is supported? I set my finger_type in nastlist.conf to
> > database for both NAS units, since it said only cisco is supported.
> > However, snmp_finger would be better if it can be made to work. Can it?
>
> No. Patches are welcome. You can set the online users page to just use
> radacct
> directly without querying the nas first.

In the docs folder it mentions that "cisco" and "lucent" are support.
What does it mean by Lucent? Lucent makes a lot of gear, Portmasters,
and Maxes among other things. I see specific mention of MAX 3000, so I'm
going to try it with my 40xx's and see what happens.

I'll also see about writing a patch to support usrhiper, though I am not
very confident in my ability to do so - in otherwords, it might not
happen ;)

> > 6) "Find User" function doesn't work. At all - it returns no results for
> > all searches. what's up with that?
>
> Again, enable sql_debug.

"Find User" doesn't search by the user name, which is what I was trying
to do. That would make a much more sensable default (or even an option,
period).

> > I'm sorry about these silly questions, really they are things that
> > should be covered by the (nearly nonexistent) documentation. Again, I
> > will suggest that the FreeRADIUS project needs a wiki to do this with :)

Once I saw the docs folder you pointed out, I see that i was wrong and
that they are indeed (mostly) covered by the documentation.

> > I will continue investigating these questions, but I would appreciate
> > any comments or suggestions on solving the niggles above. Thanks for
> > your time, guys & gals.
> >
> > --
> > - Nick Bright
> >  Terraworld, Inc
> >  888-332-1616 x315
> >  http://home.terraworld.net
> >

> > -
> >

> --
> Kostas Kalevras               Network Operations Center
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]     National Technical University of Athens, Greece
> Work Phone:           +30 210 7721861

- Nick Bright
  Terraworld, Inc
  888-332-1616 x315