On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 12:18, Kostas Kalevras wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Nick Bright wrote:
>
> > I'm storing passwords in plain text, to ease troubleshooting, and even
> > though I have general_show_user_password: yes in my admin.conf file, the
> > dialup_admin pages don't show the users' password anywhere (though I can
> > reset the password properly).
>
> Hmm, the comments in admin.conf should be updated. The idea is just to be
> able
> to see if a user password exists (hence the corresponding comment in the user
> edit page) and to reset the value if needed. I strongly disagree with being
> able
> to see and edit the user password in clear text (for various reasons) so the
> above behaviour is not likely to change.

Regardless of if you agree with it, it should be an option (though
defaulting to off is definately reasonable). We currently work with two
different systems - one where the passwords are visible, and one where
they aren't. I'm constantly listening to my techs complain about how
much more of a pain in the ass it is to support the accounts that we
can't view the passwords for.

In short, it makes our lives as tech support people a lot easier to be
able to see that password.

> If you need to see the actual clear text password value you can do what was
> suggested and add a corresponding line in the user_edit.attrs file.

I guess I'll hack something in ;)

> > Ideally I think it should be on the "show" page only, my thought is to
> > put another row on the table in the "Check Password" area that would
> > show the password as in the database - leaving the "check" form, so that
> > a test could still be done.
> >
> > If it /should/ be working, please advise what to check for as I've been
> > poking around for a bit, and don't see anything that would be causing it
> > not to work.
> >
> > --
> > - Nick Bright
> >  Terraworld, Inc
> >  888-332-1616 x315
> >  http://home.terraworld.net
> >

> > -
> >

> --
> Kostas Kalevras               Network Operations Center
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]     National Technical University of Athens, Greece
> Work Phone:           +30 210 7721861

- Nick Bright
  Terraworld, Inc
  888-332-1616 x315