I tried using my own hand-generated SSL certs, as well as a set
generated by the certs.sh script, and get the same type of problem.
Question: if the CA_file certificate contains a private key, would
this cause my problem?  I don't think it has one, but can't say with
certainty until I get in to work tomorrow and check it out.

One clue I've been seeing is if I check_crl = yes, no certificate gets
validated at all; set it to "no" and any client cert will allow the
client into my network.

Thanks!

--
Jon Franklin