On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 06:28:46PM +0000, Mark Wasmer wrote:
> Today i've read the Debian-Weekly-News March 29th, 2005 and got worried :
>
> Build-Dependency against libtool 1.4. Andrew Pollock noticed that five
> packages still declare a build-dependency against libtool 1.4 which is
> orphaned and will be removed. Frank Lichtenheld proposed to open bug
> reports against packages that use libtool 1.4 files to upgrade to
> version 1.5 which was considered a good idea. Henrique de Moraes
> Holschuh also suggested to force the use of newer libtool, autoconf and
> gettext utilities.

> FreeRADIUS depends on this package - can someone tell me what this means
> to me in the future as i like to use FreeRADIUS on Debian Sarge ?

There is already a bug report open against FreeRADIUS in Debian about
libtool 1.4. The decision the release managers and myself came to was
that forward-porting FreeRADIUS 1.0 to autoconf2.5/libtool1.5 was not
feasable, and we do not want a non-released (CVS pull) FreeRADIUS in
Debian/stable (ie. Sarge when its released). Post-sarge, I'm expecting
FreeRADIUS 1.1 will be out, and we can get rid of libtool1.4.

I didn't read the Debian Weekly News article, and unless this thread
appeared on Debian-Devel in the last couple of days, it's not been
discussed anywhere I'm party to. So it's a bit of a surprise to me.

In short, I think this is an issue that was dealt with last year, and
I full expect Sarge will include libtool1.4, as agreed previously.

Of course, if FreeRADIUS 1.1 is out before Sarge ships, I will consider
trying to get it into Sarge. But that is not to my mind very likely to
occur. We'll burn that bridge when we come to it.

--
Paul "TBBle" Hampson, on an alternate email client.