On Tue, 3 May 2005, Paul Hampson wrote:

> On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 11:28:52PM +0200, Sarkis Gabriel wrote:
> > Brilliant that is something to work on, i am already using mysql as a
> > backend
> > for my user list, so i can use that with replication.
>
> > I just want to make sure does it replicate both ways or just main
> > Replication server
> > to Slave.
>
> > The reason i ask that because of alot of Accounting stuff will be gathered
> > localy.
>
> MySQL only replicates one way. In theory you can have two dbs circularly
> replicating back and forth (maybe only with 4.1?) but for this you will
> probably be better with radrelay, since you really just want to
> push accounting data up to a central server, while authentication data
> flows down _from_ the central server.
>
> --
> Paul "TBBle" Hampson, on an alternate email client.

I agree with Paul.  I'd use replication from master to slave for
authentication credentials doing this one way.  You put all the entries
and modifications in your central location and replicate out to your
remote servers.  However, use radrelay to get the accounting data back
home.

The great thing about that setup is that you can do
authentication/authorization locally with pretty up to date information.
Then for accounting, you also record locally and really only need to use
the detail files.  This will almost assure you that you won't be
losing any packets trying to send home.  Radrelay will then just read
that extra detail file and keep chugging along trying to get all your
accounting data back home.  (it really is pretty close to real-time in my
environment).  Back home you have the radius server setup to record
accounting packets to mysql and you've got your accounting back in the
home servers in a db.

Read doc/radrelay and it will tell you about it.

You may also want to check out sqlradrelay.  That would eliminate the need
of putting radius in front of your accounting database.  It just reads the
detail files and send the accounting data back via sql.  Not sure if its
in the release yet or not, might have to get it from CVS.

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html