You were spot on. This was exactly the problem. I needed to create my own VENDOR and attribute set below 256.

Thanks,

Arun.

To: <freeradius-users@lists.freeradius.org>
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2005 6:55 PM
Subject: Re: using user-defined attributes and radreply

Hi,

ATTRIBUTE myattrib 340 string

ATTRIBUTE myattrib2 341 integer

VALUE myattrib2 value0 0

VALUE myattrib2 value1 1

VALUE myattrib2 value2 2

Now im not entirely sure whether this is right. Using the limited
documentation, it appears that values 340 & 341 are currently unused and seem
to correct ones to use for the required reply (I have also tried other unused
values in other free ranges, e.g. 2000 &2001).

IIRC, RADIUS defines attributes to be just one byte, i.e. the value must be
less than 256. Everything with a larger value is either for server's internal
use only (and since it just can't be transmitted according to protocol specs,
that's a nice trick to mark those) or maybe a somewhat "strange" representation
for a vendor specific attribute (those are the way to get around that limitation
of 256 attributes).

I'd recommend to read a bit about "vendor specific attributes", and use those
for your own attributes. Essentially, just additionally define a new "Vendor ID"
and then define attributes for that new "vendor", using 1,2,... instead of
340,341, ...

       HTH,
       Stefan

-