Alan DeKok wrote:

Radius <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I have a directory /etc/raddb/dictonary

 FreeRADIUS never created that.

 It should be a file.
It was a file. I should have been more clear.

See raddb/dictionary in the 1.0.4 source distribution.

it says in there that they are at /usr/local/share/freeradius/

and they are there. I did the default installation.

 What you missed is that the dictionary in /etc/raddb/dictionary
should be nothing more than a reference to the
/usr/local/share/freeradius files.
Yep it did.

When I edit and delete the dups, it just keeps going one file after
the other.

 Exactly.  Your "adjustments" are based on incomplete knowledge, and
as a result, are wrong.

 The simple solution is to re-install 1.0.4, but this time do:

$ ./configure --prefix=/opt/freeradius
$ make
$ make install

This is what I did do the first time when all the troubles started.

The second and third time I installed, I left it out figuring that caused
the problem.

 Since you don't already have a "/opt/freeradius" directory, it will
make one, install itself, and the version of the server in
/opt/freeradius WILL WORK.
Nope, it never got created there. I checked. Nothing in that directory.

Yes I'm logged in as user root.

 You can then update the configuration files in
/opt/freeradius/etc/raddb to match your local configuration.

 And DON'T EDIT THE DICTIONARY FILES.