florian broder wrote:
Hi.

     > WHY was it done like that, i.e. that you HAVE to use a username
    in sql?
    I am no developer but my guess would be because you have just allowed
    everyone in the world in as long as they know you have a password

    correct.

That was just an example by me, you can tell the sql module (sql.conf) to look for virtually every attribute in an access-request.

    You can't config the cisco switch to send the mac as the user?
    That would be the normal behavior.

I told Cisco that too. I'm in contact with them, for this task.

Nortel for example sends the MAC as username/password, no problem with that.

I'd just like to know, if I can use safely my own compiled version (zero length username on sql allowed), or if I run into problems afterwards, maybe for accounting etc. That's why I was asking the developpers here directly. I mean, they must have had a reason to NOT allow that on sql, while the "normal" authentication via users file allows that.

Thanks again!
Yea, Alan has told me that the sql module differs in some areas and some of the reasons may be good and others not so much. Good luck.

--
Lewis Bergman
Texas Communications