FreeRadius experts,
  Ok, I ran radtest on both the old Lucent technology radius server and on Freeradius with the following results:

Lucent Technology radius server (which works)
   [EMAIL PROTECTED] raddb]# radtest tylert xxxxxx 144.89.40.30:1645 1645 yyyyyy
Sending Access-Request of id 37 to 144.89.40.30:1645
        User-Name = "tylert"
        User-Password = "xxxxxx"
        NAS-IP-Address = alum.beloit.edu
        NAS-Port = 1645
rad_recv: Access-Accept packet from host 144.89.40.30:1645, id=37, length=44
        Framed-Protocol = PPP
        Service-Type = Framed-User
        Framed-IP-Address = 255.255.255.254
        Framed-MTU = 1500

FreeRadius which authenticates, access the local network, but doesn't access the Internet:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] raddb]# radtest tylert xxxxxx 144.89.40.9 1812 yyyyyyy
Sending Access-Request of id 159 to 144.89.40.9:1812
        User-Name = "tylert"
        User-Password = "xxxxxx"
        NAS-IP-Address = alu.beloit.edu
        NAS-Port = 1812
rad_recv: Access-Accept packet from host 144.89.40.9:1812, id=159, length=20

So what I am observing is that Freeradius does not send back the following information that Lucent Tech. does.

       Framed-Protocol = PPP
        Service-Type = Framed-User
        Framed-IP-Address = 255.255.255.254
        Framed-MTU = 1500

I am guessing that some or all of these are important.  Some of the old archives have suggested that the mtu might be important.  If I am using a standard unix password crypt file, is it possible to get freeradius to send this information?  Or do I need to consider another method?
Tim