[...]
  <sigh>  You started asking questions on the FreeRADIUS list.  Rather
than updating the FreeRADIUS Wiki, you've gone somewhere else.  Nice.

Sorry about that. I intended to put it in the freeradius wiki (and still will, if desired), but thought it was too off-topic after all - the site otherwise being rather vendor agnostic. No disrespect intended...

I took a perhaps less hostile classification than 'broken' - and labeled
them as having a "AC" or "Client" perspective.

  Perhaps "non RFC compliant" would be a politer choice of words.

Indeed...

Of course, the Access
Controller/NAS  is the right meaning as defined in this forum.

  Perhaps you haven't been reading my messages.  This forum is NOT
defining anything. The definitions existed for years before FreeRADIUS
existed.  Stop trying to claim it's a disagreement between vendors.
It's not.

Of course, sorry 'bout that. What I meant was more like "as acknowledged as fact in this thread"...

  The default should be the correct meaning.  The documentation should
have big bold warnings that vendors doing it the other way are
non-compliant.

Yes. This is another reason why I ended up documenting this elsewhere -- where I can link it into the more relevant documentation - just as you suggest - acknowledging and high-lighting the non-compliance.

Huh, I wonder if there was something originally 'lost in translation'

The original RFC's were written the the designers and implementors of RADIUS, in Ann Arbour, Michigan, USA. They might be poorly phrased, but
there is no confusion.

with how this got implemented. With some Googling, I came across:

    http://www.gsmworld.com/documents/wlan/ir61.pdf

Which states for Acct-Input-Octets: "Volume of the downstream traffic of
the User" and Output-Octets with "upstream traffic of the user". That
sounds rather Client centric -- it's not to / from the User, for
instance. Are we expecting too much from the (off-shore) out-sourcing
companies? :)

Apparently people implementing NAS equipment can't be bothered to read
the spec, or to ask questions if they don't understand it, or to see
what the large vendors do.

It would be interesting to know the history of this all. One vendor probably got it wrong and others followed the (wrong) vendor. Perhaps the lesson here is that if you follow a vendor, make it Cisco :)

David

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html