Ivan Kalik a écrit :
Default configuration works - there is no need to change it. You have
instructions in FAQ or users file about making simplest user entries.
You don't need to set Auth-Type - server does this on it's own.

I just removed the debian packages, removes the /var/log/radius and /etc/freeradius, did an apt-get install again, then followed the first step described in http://deployingradius.com/documents/configuration/pap.html, ie place the following text <http://deployingradius.com/scripts/raddb/users/pap.txt> at the *top* of the /users/ file:
bob     Cleartext-Password := "hello"

then started the freeradius with a -X option : freeradius -X.

radtest bob hello localhost 0 testing123
Sending Access-Request of id 189 to 127.0.0.1 port 1812
       User-Name = "bob"
       User-Password = "hello"
       NAS-IP-Address = x.x.x.x
       NAS-Port = 0
rad_recv: Access-Reject packet from host 127.0.0.1 port 1812, id=189, length=20

it looks like I choosed the wrong FAQ.

the line added to the /etc/freeradius/users was the only modification I did to the users file.

anyway, I'll test on another host, to see if it works better.
Ivan Kalik
Kalik Informatika ISP