Regarding the version, by design if running Centos, which purposely has a long cycle between releases based on upstream for stability. I'm not against upgrading this though. :)

So I did in fact read the users file or I wouldn't have made it this far, but I'm not seeing anything that points me to this.

Upon further analysis, I can make this work, it seems from the Users file.

But if I have the user in mysql it will only respond with an Access- Accept if the password type on NTRadPing is set to Chap.