Hi,

> I have a few questions that may or may not be related to each other. First, I
> know radtest works fine for testing the basic functions of freeradius (i.e.
> it will authenticate with no encryption) but I would like to know if radtest
> can be used to test authentication using one of the various types of
> encryptions and protocols.

eapol_test from the wpa_supplicant package is a good tool....as is a real
client.

> Question two has to do with said protocols. Is there a clear and concise page
> that will define all of the protocols (PEAP, EAP, TLS, TTLS, MSCHAP,
> MSCHAPv2, LEAP, WPA(1/2)-PSK, etc) how they differ from each other and what
> exactly happens during the authentication process. Illustrations would be
> nice.

www.google.com

there are hundreds of reosurces out there that explain what each of these
are, how they work etc...i dont know why FreeRADIUS should have to reinvent
the documentation wheel

> Question three: I have come to conclude that some protocols are the same
> thing with different names, can anyone clarify which protocols are the same
> or are at least compatible, and which are different?

all of them are different. some are inner-types that get tunnelled in the
EAP tunnel...

EAP = framework

PEAP, EAP-TLS, LEAP, EAP-TTLS are all forms of EAP

MSCHAP, PAP, MSCHAPv2 are all methods that can be inside the EAP tunnel

WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK/WPA-Enterprise/WPA2-Enterprise etc are forms of AP
to client communication

TKIP or AES being method of encryption/cipher-stream handling
for the AP to client

> Lastly, what does a successful authentication look like for each type of
> protocol. What should I be looking for in my freeradius output, and what can
> I compare it too. Possibly if I saw where stuff was going haywire I could
> determine for myself what the issue is.

what does it look like?  the client gets online and can eg DHCP for an address.
usually
a supplicant will have a pretty green button, tick or such.  using a tool such
as eapol_test
the last line of output will say SUCCESS

freeradius output will say things like [ok] or [reject] - in debug mode you'll
get so much more ...and its something that will depend on what modules
and ocnfig you have - just get some successful auths and some unsuccessful
and compare/contrast

alan
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html