On 10/21/2010 06:40 PM, Rowley, Mathew wrote:
I am kind of confused - one of our use cases is having our wireless
infrastructure authenticating through freeradius and in the end AD. Why
would it matter that freeradius uses rlm_krb5? Wouldn¹t it look something
like:

User----AP----Controller----freeradius----AD
   Anything-auth        radius       kerberos
Controller configured

This is an FAQ, and you can find plenty of discussion on the list, or see here:

http://deployingradius.com/documents/protocols/compatibility.html

Suffice to say that there are many different ways to interact with AD, and the different protocols (kerberos, ldap, NT domain RPCs) have very different capabilities.

Only one method can authenticate 802.1x from stock windows clients against Active Directory using username/password credentials, and that is the "mschap" module using Samba & domain RPCs via the ntlm_auth helper binary. This is a fundamental cryptographic property of the EAP-PEAP/MSCHAP protocols which windows supports.

If you install additional 802.1x supplicant software on your windows clients, you can use another eap method which does send plaintext passwords to the server (e.g. EAP-TTLS/PAP) and rlm_krb5 will be able to process those.
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html