We sign our RADIUS cert with a public CA for the same reason as you.

You will need to make sure that the Certificate Authority that you have sign
your CSR adds the extensions.
The extensions that need to be added are in the file xpextensions in the certs
directory of your FreeRadius installation.

Here they are.

#
#  File containing the OID's required for Windows.
#
#  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814394/en-us
#
[ xpclient_ext]