On 03/22/2011 06:15 PM, Robert Roll wrote:
This does seem to work differently than I thought..

Yeah, like I say: it's a virtual attribute that does the group search when you "compare" it.

  My model was something like  ntlm_auth, which allows an authentication,
but one can also require membership in a group at the same time...

i.e.   ntlm_auth   ...    --require-membership-of={SID|Name}

Nope, different.

  What I was really hoping is that I could look someone up in the
directory in the user tree, but also then require they be in a
particular group.  The group would actually have a specific
replyItem attribute that would return a VLAN if the user
was part of the group...

   There are other ways of accomplishing this ....

I think you may want the LDAP "profiles" stuff?

Or, use an xlat:

update reply {
  Tunnel-Private-Group-Id = "%{ldap:<ldap query url here>}"
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html