What character set encodings are you using for the database?

I suspect the database is set UTF8 and your default character encoding on the
system you are developing FreeRadius is different.

You can check the MySQL like this :

mysql> show variables like 'character_%' ;
+--------------------------+----------------------------------+
| Variable_name            | Value                            |
+--------------------------+----------------------------------+
| character_set_client     | latin1                           |
| character_set_connection | latin1                           |
| character_set_database   | latin1                           |
| character_set_filesystem | binary                           |
| character_set_results    | latin1                           |
| character_set_server     | latin1                           |
| character_set_system     | utf8                             |
| character_sets_dir       | /usr/local/share/mysql/charsets/ |
8 rows in set (0.00 sec)