Hi Phil,

Forget about all that. Adding Realm's and fiddling with the packet won't help; the check is hard-coded into the mschap module as a fairly obvious security measure.

For example - suppose I have an environment with two separate domains:

STAFF
STUDENTS

...if the mschap module did *not* check this, I could rig my mschap client to send:

EAP-Identity: STAFF\john
MSCHAP-Name: STUDENT\john

There's no guarantee that STAFF\john and STUDENT\john at the same person; you can't just ignore the fact that the client has changed their username.

True. But I don't think it is possible to send a different Username in EAP-Identity and MSChap Username in the same EAP session since the second is derived from the first. I have seen such setup where you have two domain, RADIUS would use the Realm to differentiates the two.

Is there a way we could work around this hard-coded check since in our case, we only have "one john"?

Ah.

I had assumed the machine was a domain member, because you were talking about machine auth (which requires domain membership). I take it there are two sets of machines - some in the domain, some not? I assume they all have the Novell client installed?
Correct, the machines are not member of an AD domain. However, they have the Novell Client installed, and they are using a kind of AD tree in their eDirectory structure. So machine auth works the same as if it was an AD domain. The users are not member of that special tree.

Usually, people only use "send username automatically" with machines which are in the domain. It's possible this is just a bug in Windows XP, and that no-one else has ever tried this, so it's never been seen.
It is possible that in Windows XP, something is broken at the supplicant level. In windows 7, the OS is brilliant enough not to send the machine name. However, mainly 80% of his machines are Windows XP.

--
Francois Gaudreault, ing. jr
fgaudrea...@inverse.ca  ::  +1.514.447.4918 (x130) ::  www.inverse.ca