On 12 Sep 2011, at 16:04, Sallee, Stephen (Jake) wrote:

> @ everyone
>
> We have about 100 NAS entries in our clients.conf file, it makes the file a
> bear to deal with but the server seems to handle it fine.  We will be
> expanding our infrastructure soon and the number of NAS entries will increase
> significantly.  At what point should we think about putting them into a
> database for FR to use?

When it becomes a bear to deal with the clients.conf file :) - I guess memory
might be a concern? But i'm sure there are sites out there with client.conf
files holding thousands of entries... It's a hash table in C, it's going to be
fast.

> Also, I have seen some chatter on the list about dynamic NASs.  Am I correct
> in assuming that if we are using a DB instead of the clients.conf file we can
> add or remove clients simply by making changes to the correct table, all
> without having to restart FR?

Indeed. You can also set them to expire as well, to clean up old unused entries.

-Arran

Arran Cudbard-Bell
a.cudba...@freeradius.org

RADIUS - Waging war on ignorance and apathy one Access-Challenge at a time.

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html