On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 9:57 AM, OzSpots - Carl Sawers
<c...@ozspots.com.au> wrote:
> OzSpots - Carl Sawers wrote:
>> The user can also go over the ChilliSpot-Max-Total-Octets quota and
>> the Idle-Timeout does not appear to work.
>
>  Then it's a chillispot problem.  It has nothing to do with FreeRADIUS.

> Thanks Alan,
> The Freeradius database holds the  ChilliSpot-Max-Total-Octets amount so I
> thought it was to do with Freeradius.

Radius (including freeradius) simply sends the attributes it's
configured to do.
So if it sends ChilliSpot-Max-Total-Octets, and you've verified that
it's the correct attribute (e.g. by looking at dictionaries on
/usr/share/freeradius/*, and comparing them to what chilli/coova
expects), then that's pretty much it. Whether the NAS respects it or
not doesn't really concern radius.

> I gather though that coovachilli must read this amount and pass it on to the
> router.

coovachilli and chillispot are captive portal acess controller. They
act as NAS. They don't need to "pass" anything to any router.

I suggest you try running coova/chilli in debug mode and see what it
says. Also look at their soure code.
I remembered a long time ago wondering why chilli ignores
Acct-Interim-Interval. Turns out chilli will silently ignore that
attribute if the value is <= 60s. So something similar might be
happening in your case.

--
Fajar