I ma trying to set up freeRADIUS server implementing (wireless) user authentication (running wpa_supplicant) via AP (running hostapd).

After reading various howto's and documentation as well as looking at numerous sources on the Internet, I can't see a way in which the AP is authenticated to the RADIUS server by using only its certificate attributes (CN, Subject, Issuer etc) - it seems that freeRADIUS always needs some sort of "password" or "shared secret" specified.

Is it possible *not* to use this and rely solely on the strength/culpability (depending on the way one looks at it) of PKI? If so, how do I achieve that? A very simple configuration file example would suffice! In relation to that - another question: the rlm_eap text file (in the doc/ directory) distributed with the source code (I am using 2.1.12) states that "Currently Freeradius supports only 2 EAP-Types (EAP-MD5, EAP-TLS)." (line 78). Is that so?

As for the actual EAP-TTLS/EAP-TLS authentication process I have another query - my understanding of the theory behind this method is that the authentication/authorisation process is done in two distinct phases - outer and inner authentication. This also allows for the use of two distinct sets of (client, server, ca) certificates to be specified in each phase. If that is so, how is this configured/specified in the eap.conf configuration file (or elsewhere)?

Many thanks!
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html