There are two reasons for my approach:

1) The radius server is also serving other requests that DO have a username password it is only certain logins I need to process differently - those where the caller ID matches a pattern. 2) On those that do match I do want per session settings - ie to return a IP address.

This way seems to achieve that mix easily and seems to work.

I'm happy for suggestions as ever ...