It your server has multiple interfaces then there is possibility that freeradius receive request through one interface and send response through another interface. In such case source address in response will differ from destination address in request. NAS will drop such response as unsolicited and will continue to resend accounting record. Having 3 duplicates for each accounting record means that NAS perform 3 send attempts for each accounting record.

On multihomed server it is always better to bind UDP socket to actual address, not to wildcard address. This ensures that source address in response will be equal to destination address in request.

ivaylosp wrote:
Hi there,

My RADIUS server hard drive recently crashed and i had to reinstall
everything from scratch. I got everything working but now every time a user
logs in i get 3 sessions registered in the accounting table. I remember this
being a networking issue of some sort but i can not remember or find any
record of what could cause this behavior. Currently my server IP for binding
is set to *:
listen {
        ipaddr = *
        port = 1812
        type = auth
}
listen {
        ipaddr = *
        port = 1813
        type = acct
}

Does anyone know the reason for this behavior?

Regards,

Ivaylo Petkov