On 18 Mar 2013, at 12:07, a.l.m.bu...@lboro.ac.uk wrote:

> hi,
>
> we would all love to be able to send a relevant error message to our
> clients if they fail to authenticate (either locally or remotely).
> but we cant. :-(

The old HP switches used to convert the Reply-Message into an EAP-Notification
and send it after the EAP-Success or EAP-Failure.

The native OSX supplicant used to log this even though it never displayed it to
the user.
The Windows supplicant ignored it completely.
WPA_Supplicant restarted authentication and went into an infinite
authentication loop.

It may be possible to send it before the EAP-Success/EAP-Failure message for
some EAP methods, but chances are not all supplicants will like it, and most
probably won't display anything.

-Arran
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html