stefan.pae...@diamond.ac.uk wrote:
> We're trying to put together an EAP-TTLS authentication solution with another
> open-source authentication server (Jasig CAS). We've found that only the
> first authentication process succeeds, but everything else after fails. In
> order for us to pinpoint whether this is a problem in the CAS software or the
> JRadius implementation of the EAP-TTLS Radius authenticator, I'd just like to
> confirm with the Radius experts on the list that I have some things right.

  Well, TTLS session resumption works with wpa_supplicant, Windows,
Macs, etc.

> As far as I understand RFC5281 (the EAP-TTLS RFC) in general and Section 15.3
> (session resumption) more in particular, the EAP-TTLS session should only be
> resumed if the client was successfully authenticated with the server. So am I
> correct in saying that if an EAP-TTLS session was established and a username
> and password were passed through the tunnel that were not successfully
> authenticated (i.e. the password was incorrect), the session cannot be
> resumed and should start again, i.e. a new tunnel session should be
> negotiated and the authentication request retried?

  Yes.

> What we've seen is that the radiusd -X output shows a full EAP-TTLS session
> negotiation the first time, but then only a resumption (or at least that's
> what FreeRADIUS assumes, based on the debug output) of the session to
> continue. FreeRADIUS then sees the EAP handler fail.

  It sees more than that.  There's no point in reading only *one*
message out of many.  The reason the other debug messages exist is
because they're *useful*.

> Should that session (i.e. 'request 7 ID 9') have been renegotiated and
> restarted because the user-password combination of 'bob' and 'test' is
> invalid?

  The debug log *doesn't* show session resumption.  If it did, it would
have text about "session resumption".

> -- begin of debug output --

  Which shows that the inner-tunnel configuration is incapable of
authenticating a user "bob" with password "test".

  This has nothing to do with session resumption.  Your inner-tunnel
configuration is wrong.  You haven't configured a "known good" password
for the user.

  So.... how is the server supposed to check that "bob/test" is a valid
user/password?

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html