On 2013-04-30 16:30, Alan DeKok wrote:
George Chelidze wrote:
We use rlm_ippool for pool management. Each pool is configured with 16K
addresses. About 10K are used in the peek time (per pool).
   The DBM files underlying IP pools really aren't that scalable.

I believe we have almost reached our IO capacity, because heavy IO
operations like gzipping a 300M file cause freeradius to throw errors like:

Error: Discarding duplicate request from client C port 65038 - ID: 109
due to unfinished request 34797335
Error: Discarding duplicate request from client C port 65035 - ID: 98
due to unfinished request 34797336
   Yeah.  Starving FreeRADIUS isn't a good idea.

Will it make any sense to switch to rlm_sqlippool? Will it be less IO
sensitive?
   You should be using SQL.  It will still be IO sensitive, but maybe
less so.

   The short answer is that you shouldn't overload critical systems while
they're running.  Perhaps a simpler solution is to move FreeRADIUS + DB
into a dedicated machine.  And don't do ANYTHING ELSE on it.  Use syslog
to get all logs off of the machine.  So there are really no cron jobs,
user logins, etc.

   That is by far and away the safest way of running a RADIUS server.

   Alan DeKok.
Thank you Alan, I will switch to rlm_sqlipool and will try to avoid any extra IO load.

Best Regards,

--
George Chelidze