I tried using xfreerdp on a server that did not have the Xkb
extension.  There was a bug in the detection of the extension (which
I'll fix), but the real problem is in the fallback keymap mechanism.

Basically, it doesn't work at all.  To reproduce on any system:

cmake  -DWITH_DEBUG_KBD=ON -DWITH_XKBFILE=OFF
make

DBG_KBD detect_keyboard_layout_from_locale (477): Found locale : en_US
DBG_KBD detect_keyboard (61): detect_keyboard_layout_from_locale: 409
DBG_KBD detect_keyboard (73): using default keyboard layout: base
DBG_KBD freerdp_kbd_init (107): Using keyboard layout 0x409 with xkb
name US and xkbfile base
DBG_KBD load_xkb_keyboard (221): Loading keymap base, first trying keymaps/base
DBG_KBD load_xkb_keyboard (263): keymaps for base not found
DBG_KBD load_keyboard_map (400): loaded 0 keymaps
DBG_KBD load_keyboard_map (404): using default keymap

The default keymap doesn't match any keyboard on any system I have.
For example, on all my keyboards a scan code of 38 (0x26) is the
character 'a'.

I tried on a Sun system, which has a number of keymaps defined in
files under the keymaps directory, and it also did not map correctly.

Does anyone know more about this part of the code and its current
state?  I'm guessing the vast majority of users never hit this code
because their X server has the Xkb extension.

-David

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011