We have a situation where users need to choose and launch from several
remote applications from their X desktop. We've created desktop icons
for those applications so they can simply click them to launch.
Unfortunately doing it this way creates separate terminal server
sessions for each application.

Has anyone given thought to a way to allow a user to launch remote
applications and reuse the existing session?  For example, we might
have a way to send an IPC message to FreeRDP to ask it to launch an
application.  Another way might be a different windows shell that has
a UI allowing the user to choose applications from a list.

Any suggestions?