I thought I'd pass on this useful information to Linux users.

I'm sure there are a lot of people like myself that have their machines
either setup to dual boot (Linux/Windows) or run a Windows KVM or
VirtualBox type setup so they can get access & use some Windows app that
their job etc requires at some time.

Although the KVM/VirtualBox is more convenient than Dual Boot... you still
deal with both the Linux & Windows full desktops so I thought I'd see if
there was just a way to run the Windows KVM or VirtualBox guest minimized
and use FreeRDP to create some Linux Desktop launchers so I could just
bring up any Windows App I wanted whenever I needed it.

Sticky part was that most people think that RemoteApp's requires a Windows
2008 Server and Windows 2008 Server requires another Microsoft license from
the Windows 7 license I already own.   Then also, to run RemoteApp on
Windows 2008 Server you have to configure Terminal Services... which is
another license.

I learned recently that certain versions of Windows XP, Windows 7, Vista,
etc can all be configured to support RemoteApp without Terminal Services
required.

First, I learned how to do it the hard way through using regedit & adding
quite a few registry entries.

However, I later learned a much easier way using a tool described at this
site:
http://sites.google.com/site/kimknight/remoteapptool

So I took my Windows 7 Ultimate (Enterprise works too) and installed it
using KVM onto my Ubuntu PC.

After installing the Win7, I installed all my other Windows related apps
onto that KVM Windows VM.

Then i installed the above remoteapptool using the instructions in the
above URL.

Since I am only using my own Win7 license, my own licensed applications and
only using RemoteApp for my personal use I can't see any problem doing this
or that it violates any licenses.

Anyway I used the above tool to setup all the installed Windows
applications as remoteapp,  created Launcher Icon's on my Ubuntu Desktop
with the launcher command being the required FreeRDP command line for each
app.

It works great and now I just have the one desktop with all the
applications available that I need from either Linux or Windows.

Thought this might be something others might find useful as well.

Brian