It would not be so hard to add a couple of registry key settings to allow
fine tuning of cache parameters in the current FreeRDP sources. A subset of
the Windows registry API is implemented in WinPR has is already used in
parts like libfreerdp-core/settings.c.

 *From:* Gallauner Roman <roman.gallau...@akhwien.at>
*Sent:* ‎August‎ ‎28‎, ‎2012 ‎4‎:‎45‎ ‎PM
*To:* Jay Sorg <jay.s...@gmail.com>
*CC:* freerdp-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
*Subject:* Re: [Freerdp-devel] Memory consumption 0.8.2 vs. 1.0.1 (current
version from git)

Saw that the virtual size of the process growed steadily when the screen
content changes in the session - no growth when nothing changes, so I
thought of some sort of cache and found libfreerdp/cache/bitmap.c.

Changed the obivious lines in bitmap_cache_new() to

   bitmap_cache->maxCells = 0;
   settings->bitmapCacheV2NumCells = 0;

and whoops xfreerdp starts with about 30 MB and does not grow anymore
and therefore no more freezing/crashing thin client (at least those with
96 MB RAM, those with only 64 still die with 2 concurrent sessions).

Maybe someone with more  insight in the configuration logic of freerdp
could add a command line switch which enables/disables the bitmap cache?

Cheers
Roman