Just a few comments on the intel development tools:

Those who were at the dinner we had to discuss FreeRDP development have
probably noticed my excitement for the intel development tools. There is
definitely something to be extremely excited about, it does everything,
from finely grained profiling of your code with minimal footprint to
pointing out where your race conditions are.

The full development suite is quite expensive but definitely worth it:
http://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-parallel-studio-xe

The Intel IPP libraries are available as stand-alone for $200:
http://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-integrated-performance-primitives-purchase/

No matter what, I'm getting a license, and when we eventually set up
automated build infrastructure we will have the option of providing
high-quality FreeRDP builds that make use of intel IPP. The libraries are
usable on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X. We can also provide other such
special builds that can make use of all sorts of libraries with an obvious
advantage.