Hi Peter,

Maybe you could add /gfx-thin-client to xfreerdp's command line options.
This will enable so called server side rendering and the new RDP 8
graphics pipeline (a protocol extension to RDP for rich multimedia
content, also referred to as EGFX). The big advantage of this is that
the server renders the screen and transmits only pictures to the client
which just has to display them. This should take much load from Xorg.
There is another parameter you might like to try instead of
/gfx-thin-client: /gfx-h264. The difference is that the latter uses the
H.264 codec for transmitting the video stream, the former uses RemoteFX
7.1's special codec, which has a multi-threaded implementation in
FreeRDP but a higher network bandwidth usage. H.264 was added to RDP to
allow seamless RDP sessions over WAN.

With one of these parameters and your setup you should actually be able
to watch videos in fullscreen mode. However, there was a time when
/gfx-h264 produced artifacts, I don't know how good it works as of
today. If /gfx-thin-client is not as fast as expected, I wrote an open
source RemoteFX 7.1 decoder-core for FreeRDP in the assembly language.
It was originally targeted to Intel Atom based terminal-server clients.
I have not integrated it into the upstream branch, because it's platform
dependent assembly code. Therefore, it is chained to my tailored version
of FreeRDP 1.2, but it appears to work quite well with Win 2012/2016
(and probably Win 8/10, too). I just realized that the code is actually
not on my git repo, but I could add it during the next few days and
write some instructions about compiling it, if you chose to give it a try.

But when it comes to actual graphics intensive application one might
also consider that the VM needs a proper virtual graphics adapter. As
I've been working with session hosts only, I can't tell you much about
that thing, but in HyperV there is an option of adding a physical
graphics adapter to the host and using it in your VMs (sorry, I don't
remember what MS called it). I'm sure there is a similar thing on ESXi.
But you should only think about that if you feel that the bottleneck is
not the client, specifically if the RDP client has a low CPU load.

It would be great if you could write here how things are going, because
I'm always curious about FreeRDP's performance. And I think the others
are as well ;-)

Yours,
Thomas