> /gdx:hw is no longer recommended (there are certain issues that can not
> be fixed)

Could you elaborate on that? And is it possible that default behavior
changed from hw to sw if gdi paramter is not set at all?

Am Do., 12. Sept. 2019 um 12:39 Uhr schrieb Armin Novak via FreeRDP-devel <
freerdp-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>:

> Hi,
> > Hello!
> >
> > I found that newer versions of freerdp 2 are performing slightly slower
> > than older. The usablility is not much, but noticeably worser. This
> > prevents me from moving to fresh versions of freerdp.
>
> This is true for the legacy GDI mode of operation.
>
> The new version has less bugs but is a bit slower in this mode.
>
> (mostly the newly introduced input validation that is much more costly
> in this mode to prevent remote exploitability)
>

> If you connect to anything newer than windows XP/Vista you should just
> add /rfx /gfx:avc444 /network:auto to your command line.
>
> that activates the newer RFX or GFX drawing paths which should be much
> faster. (if the server does not support it is ignored, so just do it
> anyway ;))
>
> > Here are some details on my usage scenario:
> > I am using freerdp on self-made thin clients based on Ubuntu. There are
> > about 800 clients in organization. The session hosts are mostly Windows
> > 2012 R2 with updates installed.
> > The problem persist on different client platforms - AMD and Intel; on
> > different CPUs: Intel Atom and Celeron, Core i3/i5, and AMD Ryzen; on
> > different Ubuntu versions - 16.04 (mainstream for this time) and 18.04.
> > The problem is not network-related - it is observed in LAN and only
> change
> > of freerdp version needed to reproduce problem.
> > I run freerdp with flags: xfreerdp /load-balance-info:tsv://xxx /v:xxx
> > /cert-ignore /f +fonts /smartcard /gdi:hw /sound:sys:alsa /d:xxx /u:xxx
>
> /gdx:hw is no longer recommended (there are certain issues that can not
> be fixed)
>
> but I´ve tried to build the related versions and actually current master
> was faster here (old imac with a i5@3.1GHz and 2560x1440 resolution) so
> maybe there are some other things involved? (build options/...)
>
> > The use of /gfx-h264 option improves situation, but I also have some
> legacy
> > Windows servers. And anyway that would be great to find the real cause of
> > problem, not just workaround.
>
> well, we validate all input data now, so that will stay. (remember those
> CVEs?)
>

> regards
>
> Armin

Márton Morvai
Development & Support

openthinclient gmbh, Büro Dresden
Kamenzer-Str.33, 01099 Dresden, Deutschland
Telefon: +49 351 41886215-1
mailto:m.mor...@openthinclient.com

openthinclient gmbh
Heilbronner Str. 150, 70191 Stuttgart, Deutschland
Telefon: +49 711 1378636-0
Telefax: +49 711 1378636-9
Amtsgericht Stuttgart: HRB 245 177; USt-ID: DE216017092
Geschäftsführer: Alexander Stecher
http://openthinclient.com
<http://openthinclient.com>