On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 at 08:44, Richard Dymond <rjdym...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes. On both sides of the proxy, the RAIL_LEVEL_HANDSHAKE_EX_SUPPORTED
> bit is set in both settings->RemoteApplicationSupportLevel and
> settings->RemoteApplicationSupportMask.

For anyone reading this later, I just wanted to describe how this issue was
resolved.

First, I assumed that only by getting into Enhanced RemoteApp mode - via
the transfer of the RAIL_LEVEL_HANDSHAKE_EX_SUPPORTED message - would I get
to see the remote application window appear seamlessly, i.e. as if running
locally. That assumption was incorrect. The RAIL_LEVEL_HANDSHAKE_EX_SUPPORTED
message was a red herring. The only thing my proxy wasn't doing that it
needed to was forward window information orders to mstsc. After I made that
change, mstsc was able to display the remote app window seamlessly.

Second, I discovered that if I really wanted to get Enhanced RemoteApp mode
- whatever that is, I'm still not sure! - working, then the Windows 2012
RDS server needed to have the fEnableRemoteFXAdvancedRemoteApp registry
value set to 1, and the client side of my proxy needed to have
settings->ColorDepth = 32 in addition to settings->SupportGraphicsPipeline
= TRUE.

Richard