Il giorno 25/ago/06, alle ore 16:47, Matteo Riondato ha scritto:

On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 04:32:53PM +0200, Dominique Goncalves wrote:
Hi,

I added -o reserve where there is the -a option used with mdconfig but
without luck.
My change are avalaible at
http://djdomics.free.fr/FreeBSD/freesbie2/patches/mdconfig- reserve.diff

When I boot an ISO (with unionfs enabled), I see errors like this:

mdconfig: must specify -f for -t vnode
mdconfig: must specify -s for -t malloc or -t swap

I'm a bit lost :-(

What's wrong with my change ?

After a quick look at mdconfig source, I would say that you should
change:

mdconfig -a -t malloc -o compress , reserve -s ${etcsize}
with
mdconfig -a -t malloc -o compress -o reserve -s ${etcsize}
and so on.

iirc  you can use the mount(1) style option like -o compress,reserve
(without spaces so getopt doesn't get mad). Anyway, the reserve option slow
down the process of mdconfig and triggers the panic anyway if you don't
have enough memory available. The only difference is that the panic is
triggered by mdconfig itself and not while you're working. We should
try tmpfs patches and use it instead of fixed size memory fs. At least it
*should* handle the 'out of memory' problem correctly.

bye,
Dario