> Can you load other .bfloat data, or do you get this error whenever
> you try to load any .bfloat data?

I tried a number of other files and got the same error in all cases.

1) From the same glm analysis, on the same average7 surface:
beta_doss-thickness-250-lh_000.bfloat
beta_doss-thickness-250-rh_000.bfloat (in a different session with the rh surface)

2) and from a different glm analysis:
y_doss-thickness-250-lh_000.bfloat (with a different average7 surface from that study)

Are there any others I should try to load?