        From: Bruce Fischl [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Sent: Tue 7/19/2005 11:32 AM
        To: Ray Fix
        Subject: Re: [Freesurfer] stage1

        Hi Ray,

        you shouldn't compare across datasets that use the subcortical
        segmentation (aseg) and those that don't. The aseg fills the entire
        ventricle, and thus changes the effective folding pattern on the medial
        wall, requiring a different atlas and parcellation targets. The
advantage
        is that it is quite a bit more robust and fully automated in 90-95% of
the
        cases we've tested (including elderly and AD), plus you get the whole
        subcortical segmentation for either structural or functional analysis.

        cheers,
        Bruce

        p.s. the subcortical does take a long (>15 hours) time, but reduces
person
        time as most datasets go through without any manual fixing.

        On Mon, 18 Jul 2005, Ray Fix wrote:

        > Hello Doug,
        >
        > Thanks for the info.  I tried out the Tiger install a couple of weeks
ago and
        > was very impressed but when I tried to process bert, it took so long
that I
        > finally gave up.
        >
        > What is the advantage of doing this subcortical segmentation step?
For