make_average_subject did the trick.
However, although I can load the lh results as an overlay in tksurfer, if I try
to adjust the display settings through View> Configure > Overlay, tksurfer
crashes and I get the message below. I don't have this problem when overlaying
the rh results.

tksurfer average lh smoothwm
surfer: current subjects dir: /data/nelson/work/alex/freesurfer/subjects_twins
surfer: not in "scripts" dir ==> using cwd for session root
surfer: session root data dir ($session) set to:
surfer:     /data/nelson/work/alex/freesurfer/subjects_twins
ERROR: cound not stat
/data/nelson/work/alex/freesurfer/subjects_twins/average/mri/T1/COR-.info.
Does it exist?
mghRead(/data/nelson/work/alex/freesurfer/subjects_twins/average/mri/T1.mgh,
-1): could not open file
surfer: Reading header info from
/data/nelson/work/alex/freesurfer/subjects_twins/average/mri/T1.mgz
surfer: vertices=163842, faces=327680
corRead(): can't open file
/data/nelson/work/alex/freesurfer/subjects_twins/average/surf/../mri/orig/COR-.info
MRISreadVertexPosition(/data/nelson/work/alex/freesurfer/subjects_twins/average/surf/lh.orig):
 could not open file
/data/nelson/work/alex/freesurfer/subjects_twins/average/surf/lh.orig
No such file or directory
MRISreadOriginalProperties: could not read surface file
/data/nelson/work/alex/freesurfer/subjects_twins/average/surf/lh.orig
No such file or directory
surfer: single buffered window
Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
surfer: using interface /usr/local/freesurfer-dev20050905/lib/tcl/tksurfer.tcl
Reading /usr/local/freesurfer-dev20050905/lib/tcl/tkm_common.tcl
Reading /usr/local/freesurfer-dev20050905/lib/tcl/tkm_wrappers.tcl
Reading /usr/local/freesurfer-dev20050905/lib/tcl/fsgdfPlot.tcl
Reading /usr/local/freesurfer-dev20050905/lib/tcl/tkUtils.tcl
Read /usr/local/freesurfer-dev20050905/surface_labels.txt, found 95 structures
Successfully parsed tksurfer.tcl
% offset is 0.25
surfer: reading canonical coordinates from
surfer:
/data/nelson/work/alex/freesurfer/subjects_twins/average/surf/lh.sphere.reg
too big, x major ticks can't be 80000002
Abort

Alex Fornito
M.Psych/PhD (clin. neuro.) candidate
Melbourne Neuropsychiatry Centre and Department of Psychology
National Neuroscience Facility
The University of Melbourne
Levels 2 & 3, Alan Gilbert Building
161 Barry St