On Thu, 1 Jun 2006, Ivan Blagoev Topolsky wrote:

Hello !

I work for the department of Anatomy
(http://www.medecine.unige.ch/GRAC/) in the Centre Médical Universitaire
of the Université de Genève (http://www.unige.ch/).

We're planning to use the FreeSurfer software suite (or more precisely,
the surface-based stream ) in a project that aims to synthesize brain
models for teaching through rapid-prototyping (like 3D-printing) out of
brain MRI, thus by-passing and giving an alternative to using dead human
bodies for teaching.

I have 2 questions relative to this project :
- Does anyone here have recommendations (or references) about MRI
sequence parameters to obtain best contrast for optimal segmentation ?
Our preliminary test data wasn't top quality indeed, and we're planning
to obtain new datasets. Does anyone has some tips to give us ?

what type of scanners do you have?

- The download page mentions that the source code will be soon released
(https://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/Download?action=highlight&value=source+code),
but that we'll have to wait until all non-releasable modules are
replaced with open-source-able ones.
How far has the OS'ing effort gone until now ? Most specifically, which
modules are already OS'able ?
And how much effort remain to be done ? When will we see an OS'ed version ?
Under what license are those sources going to be released ? (GPL, BSD,
other ?)

we're working on it!

Thank you and have a nice day.

- Ivan Topolsky -