Tao,

Which freesurfer distribution was installed, and on what kind of platform?

Was there an MNI installation already on the system and are there
environment variables pointing to it?  In particular, what are
MNI_DATAPATH and MNI_PERL5LIB and PERL5LIB set to in your environment?
They should point to the freesurfer mni dist.

Which perl is being used?  The mni dist that gets installed with
freesurfer assumes perl is installled in /usr/bin.  If perl is installed
somewhere else, run $FREESURFER_HOME/bin/fixup_mni_paths.

Nick