Hello,

Apologies for cross-posting (this list and martinos-tech), but I think that by posting here I might be able to reach a few more people who may have had the problem before and solved it.

I have been experiencing very long load-up times, when running tksurfer. It can take up to 6 or 7 minutes to load. As far as I can tell, the application does not have any unusual or slow behaviors once it finally launches. The problem was not present until Friday, but has persisted since, and I run it the same now as I did before. Paul Raines mentioned on martinos-tech that there used to be a problem where the SUBJECTS_DIR was searched recursively and it would slow down the loading times for a comparable length of time. Can anyone confirm that this is still what tksurfer does? When I run it, I source the latest development version.

If the problem is not the long search and file checks, then what could be the source of the delay?

The command is: tksurfer average7 lh inflated
The output is normal and I'm running it from /space/ventzl/1/users/SUBJECTS_DIR/
This is the tksurfer  /usr/local/freesurfer/dev/bin/tksurfer

The initial output is:
surfer: current subjects dir: /space/ventzl/1/users/SUBJECTS_DIR
surfer: not in "scripts" dir ==> using cwd for session root
surfer: session root data dir ($session) set to:
surfer:     /autofs/space/ventzl_001/users/SUBJECTS_DIR

Then it hangs for 6 minutes or longer, and launches the tk gui.

When I strace it, there is trace information to show initially, and then there is the text output I mentioned above, but during the waiting period there is no output from strace at all.
Thanks in advance,
Rob