Thank everyone for very informative comments!

I am a newbie in freesurfer myself, I just got a dataset for the
analysis (data was preprocessed in freesurfer), and since I am moving
myself toward doing any analysis in python, and the tools I use now are
python libraries, I wanted to load the data in python.

What I got was

$> /bin/ls -R
.:
lh.exper_dossdintnoage.glmdir  rh.exper.thickness.10.mgh
lh.exper.thickness.10.mgh      rh.exper_dossdintnoage.glmdir

./lh.exper_dossdintnoage.glmdir:
ar1.mgh  beta.mgh  dossdintnoage  eres.mgh  fsgd.X.mat  mri_glmfit.log
rstd.mgh  rvar.mgh  Xg.dat  y.fsgd

./lh.exper_dossdintnoage.glmdir/dossdintnoage:
C.dat  F.mgh  gamma.mgh  maxvox.dat  sig.mgh

./rh.exper_dossdintnoage.glmdir:
ar1.mgh  beta.mgh  dossdintnoage  eres.mgh  fsgd.X.mat  mri_glmfit.log
rstd.mgh  rvar.mgh  Xg.dat  y.fsgd

./rh.exper_dossdintnoage.glmdir/dossdintnoage:
C.dat  F.mgh  gamma.mgh  maxvox.dat  sig.mgh

Also there is a directory on top
$> ls ../EXPERAVE/
4 label/  0 mri/  0 scripts/  4 stats/  4 surf/  0 tmp/
for the avg subject

If I understand it right, .glmdir are just the result of glm analysis which I
am not interested in at the moment. I wanted to get thickness out, thus
{l,r}h.exper.thickness.10.mgh seemed the one I needed ;)
I'm not sure if they originally were in the proprietary format...

if I got it right mris_convert needs original mesh (lh.inflated) which
was used for the lh.exper.thickness.10.mgh. I have a few for avg subject, but I
am not sure which one (inflated or not) was used for generation of the
thickness or is the thickness mesh independent somehow?

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008, Nick Schmansky wrote:
> But I doubt that helps too much, since I'm guessing you want to avoid
> having to use the freesurfer binaries and want to just read the files
> directly.

well, I can leave with 1 time conversion ;) Having direct interface from python
is a neat thing to have though. by ldd on mris_convert and its size (3MB) I
guess freesurfer statically compiles in IO functionality in. It would be great
if there just was a dynamic library which does IO. Then it could be quite easy
to create python wrapper which would use it more or less directly...

--
Yaroslav Halchenko
Research Assistant, Psychology Department, Rutgers-Newark