Dana,

First I would run:

recon-all -s subid -clean

to remove any prior control points and edits.

Then I would open nu.mgz:

tkmedit subjid nu.mgz

and *sparingly* put control points well into white matter areas on a few
different slices.  you only need a half dozen or so.  to add control
points, see:

http://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/FsTutorial/ControlPoints

except you will add them to nu.mgz, to make sure that T1.mgz gets
created properly.

Then create a file name xopts.txt containing these lines:

mri_normalize -gentle

Then run:

recon-all -s subjid -autorecon1 -expert <path_to>/xopts.txt

and when done, open brainmask.mgz

tkmedit subjid brainmask.mgz

and check again to get a sense of the low value for white matter and
high value for gray matter, then run:

recon-all -s subjid -autorecon2 -seg-wlo wlo -seg-ghi ghi

replacing wlo and ghi with those values.

if the surfaces still look bad, you can add a line to the xopts.txt
file :

mris_make_surfaces -max_gray val -min_gray_at_white_border val

replacing the two 'val's with something you find appropriate, then run:

recon-all -s subjid -autorecon2-pial -autorecon3 \
  -expert <path_to>/xopts.txt

good luck!

Nick