Hi Michelle,

  the SUBJECTS_DIR is an environment variable that you have to set prior
to running the anatomical analysis (disregarding the functional analysis
for a moment). Before running the functional analysis, you must run
recon-all on the anatomical data, eg

recon-all -all -subject LD08-anat -i anatomical.dicom

this will create a folder in $SUBJECTS_DIR called LD08-anat. If you have
not done this, you should do this first. Look at the wiki for how to run
the anatomical analysis.

Once this is done, you should unpack your functional data (looks like
you might have done this already). In the session directory, create a
text file called "subjectname". Put the subject name (ie, LD08-anat)
into the subjectname file.

doug