From: Douglas N Greve <gr...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>
To: Antonella Kis <ator...@yahoo.com>
Cc: "freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu" <freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 1:10 PM
Subject: Re: [Freesurfer] mri_glmfit-sim

Antonella Kis wrote:
> Hi Doug,
>

> Thanks again for your help. There are few more things not very clear
> for me and I will be very  graetful if you can advise me:
>
> 1). Did you mean that if I did not qcache my data while I was doing
> pre-processing running the  recon-all I should use then
> lh.AGE.thickness.10B.mgh?
yes

> 2) Are then the mentioned steps the right one to be followed?
yes

> 3) I saw on one tutorial about the mri_glm to perform estimations.
> What are this estimations? Do I need to run:
Where did you see reference to mris_glm? This is an old program that we
should not even distribute.

> # For the left hemisphere
> mris_glm --surfmeas thickness \
>          --hemi lh \
>          --trgsubj average \
>          --fsgd ./my_gender_age_fsgd.txt doss \
>          --beta ./beta_doss-thickness-100lh.mgz\
>          --var ./var_doss-thickness-100lh.mgz \
>          --y ./y_doss-thickness-100lh_000.mgz \
>          --nsmooth 100
> # For the right hemisphere
> mris_glm --surfmeas thickness \
>          --hemi rh \
>          --trgsubj average \
>          --fsgd ./my_gender_age_fsgd.txt doss \
>          --beta ./beta_doss-thickness-100rh.mgz \
>          --var ./var_doss-thickness-100rh.mgz \
>          --y ./y_doss-thickness-100rh_000.mgz \
>          --nsmooth 100
> 4) If I have less than 80 subjects do I need to run the full MC
> simulation and I must supply the smoothest of my data as fwhm from the
> y.fsgd file? Also I would need to mention the threshold like in the
> following example?
Yes. You are better off using mri_glmfit-sim rather than the command
line below. mri_glmfit-sim will run that program giving it the
appropriate fwhm.

> mri_glmfit --y lh.gender_age.thickness.10.mgh \
> --glmdir lh.gender_age.glmdir \
> --fsgd gender_age.txt doss \
> --surf fsaverage lh \
> --fwhm 14.517 --C age.mat \
> --sim mc-full 10000 2 lh.gender_age.glmdir/csd1
>
> Do I add the --cache 4 neg \
>                       --overwrite
>
> at the end?
>
> 5) When I run tksurfer to view the sig.mgh file and I set the
> threshold  to 2, meaning vertices with p<.01, I have just few vertices
> coloured in blue. Does this mean a low activation? If yes, what I have
> to do?
Yes. You can try lowering it to 1.3 (p<.05). If the effect is too
subtle, you will need to add more subjects (assuming there is an effect
at all).
doug